HKU Moodle: A Definitive Guide to Moodle HKU 2023
The University of Hong Kong Learning Management System (HKU LMS) is the HKU Moodle. Moodle is a web-based learning platform developed to provide educators, administrators and students with a single robust, secure and integrated system to build personalised learning environments. The University of Hong Kong has embraced Moodle as its centrally managed learning management system (LMS). The HKU Moodle is designed to allow teachers, course TAs, instructors and administrators to create relevant, flexible and involving online learning content for supporting teaching.
For the convenience of both teaching staff and students to access the University of Hong Kong’s Learning Management System through HKU Portal, the “My eLearning” tab was created. With the “My eLearning” tab, teachers or instructors can access and manage their Moodle courses as well as students can also have access to their online Moodle courses and learning activities in the tab.
Provided here is a very supportive guide for students as well as teachers to assist them access and handle their HKU Moodle courses. The HKU Moodle can be accessed on a desktop computer or mobile device with a compatible browser. Students and teachers are urged to use either “Firefox” or “Google Chrome” browser to access their Moodle platform to have a better experience and performance. To have access to your Moodle courses and other course-related activities, you must first log into your HKU portal. To access your Moodle platform, kindly follow the procedure to log in:
How to Log into HKU Moodle Platform
HKU Moodle platform is available and accessible to all teachers and students at the University of Hong Kong.
- On the recommended web browser, go to or navigate to the HKU Moodle Login page at https://moodle.hku.hk/.
- Click on “login” at the top right of the HKU Moodle Login page, then click on “HKU Portal user login”.
- The HKU Portal Login page will open.
- Type in your HKU Portal User Identification (UID).
- Type in your Personal Identification Number (PIN)
- Click on “LOG IN”.
- Select the “My eLearning” tab.
- Access your Moodle courses by clicking the “Access” link under the column “Moodle course“. Course lists will be retrieved from Student Information System (SIS).
Once teachers have been able to login and access their courses on the HKU Moodle, they can also:
- set the Moodle course available to students by clicking “Set available to student“.
- access to manage a Moodle course by clicking the Moodle course title hyperlink.
- grant access to Students/Teachers/TAs/Guests by clicking the icons next to each course in the courses list, if any.
Also, individuals can log into the HKU Moodle as guests. Below are the details on how to log into HKU Moodle as a guest.
How to Log into HKU Moodle as a Guest
- Go to or visit the Guest Login page at http://hkuportal.hku.hk/moodle/guest on your web browser.
- Enter your Guest username and password in the fields provided for them
- Click on ‘Log in’ to access HKU Moodle as a guest.
How to change your HKU Moodle Password?
Only guests can change their Moodle guest account password through Moodle. To change the password through Moodle.
- 1. Log into your Moodle guest account by following the steps provided above.
- 2. Click “Change password” under the Settings block on the left-hand side.
- You can change the password by entering “Current password“, “New password” and “New password (again)“.
- Click on “Save Changes” at the end of the page.