ELMS-Canvas: How to Access UMD LMS 2023
Enterprise Learning Management System (ELMS-Canvas) is the Learning Management System (LMS) for the University of Maryland. ELMS is hosted on Instructure’s Canvas. Canvas LMS is an open and dedicated web-based software that enables institutions to manage their online learning, instructors to create and present online materials and assess student learning, and students to engage in courses and receive feedback about skill development and learning achievement.
Enterprise Learning Management System (ELMS-Canvas) provides an online environment for students and instructors to extend the classroom with comprehensive functionality. With ELMS-Canvas, students are able to;
- View calendar entries to manage course assignments and events;
- Communicate with your instructor and classmates and manage your Inbox;
- Turn in assignments;
- Complete a quiz or survey;
- Post to a discussion board;
- Review your grades and instructor feedback.
ELMS-Canvas is accessible and available to students, staff or instructors, and faculty of the University of Maryland on most web-enabled devices including desktops, laptops, tablets and smartphones with good internet connections. To access your ELMS-Canvas, you will be required to log in with your UMD Directory ID and password. In order to login with your Directory ID, you will need to activate your Directory ID.
How to Activate Your Directory ID
To activate your Directory ID, you will need the following:
- Either your UID, an Activation Code, or the last five digits of your Social Security Number (SSN) or SID.
- Your Date of Birth (Month-Day-Year)
- Your Last Name.
How to Login to ELMS-Canvas
- Open your web browser on your devices and navigate to the UMD ELMS-Canvas Login page at https://elms.umd.edu.
- Click on the “LOG IN” button on the UMD ELMS-Canvas Login page.
- Enter your Directory ID.
- Enter your Password.
- Click on “LOG IN” to access your ELMS-Canvas dashboard.
ELMS can be accessed on your mobile devices with the Canvas mobile app. The Canvas student mobile application is available in Google Play Store for Android and App Store for iOS. Download the Canvas IOS Student App for iPhone and iPad or Android Canvas App for Android from Google Play Store or App Store. and follow the steps below to log in with the mobile app.
How to Login to ELMS-Canvas using the Mobile App
- Open the Canvas Student app on your mobile device by tapping on the Canvas Student app icon.
- Click the “Find My School” button.
- Enter the “University of Maryland” in the text box. When the University of Maryland appears tap on it.
- Enter ELMS-Canvas URL.
- Click on the “Go” button after entering the URL. You will be redirected to the UMD ELMS-Canvas page.
- On the Login Page, enter your Directory ID.
- Enter your Password.
- Click on the “Login” button to access your ELMS-Canvas dashboard.
The University of Maryland offers orientation to students who are new to the ELMS (electronic learning management system) environment. You can use this orientation space as a reference if you have questions about how to perform such activities as communicating with an instructor, submitting an assignment, completing a quiz or survey, or participating in a discussion forum.