Complete Guide to UWO OWL Learning Management System 2023
UWO OWL is the online Learning Management System for Western University. OWL is the home to online versions of the undergraduate and graduate courses offered at Western as well as courses from Western Continuing Studies and needed training from Human Resources. OWL is a customized version of Sakai, an open-source learning management system by Apereo. Western University’s OWL with a platform called Sakai to manage and deliver undergraduate, graduate, and Continuing Studies courses, the Preceptor Education Program, Human Resources required training, and independent, department and group websites.
Sakai is an open-source learning management system with exceptional online learning, teaching, and collaboration tools. With its robust communication options and strong support for groups make it easier to keep in touch, learn together, and work in teams. Sakai allows you to create and organize courses, resources, quizzes, tests, assignments, links, videos, and other media into understandable lessons or modules; control access to materials via conditional release; upload, store, and share files and other resources
All details available here are complete guides to assist you on how to log into the UWO OWL LMS and access your Western University courses and participate in online activities. You can login and access your courses on your desktop or mobile phone with a compatible browser. You can log into UWO OWL with your Western Identity or WCS account or OWL account.
How to Log into UWO OWL Learning Management System
- On your compatible browser, go to or visit the UWO OWL LMS Login page at owl.uwo.ca.
- At the top right of the Login page, enter your user id which is your Western ID without “@uwo.ca”. Students who do not have a western ID but have an OWL account can use their non-Western email.
- Enter your appropriate password with respect to the username you used.
- Click on “Log In” to access the UWO OWL Learning Management System dashboard.
Once you look into UWO OWL Learning Management System, you can have access to all your courses. You can find your course here and access them.
How to Find My Courses in UWO OWL
- Log into the UWO OWL LMS.
- Navigate to “Membership” on the left.
- Navigate to “My Official Course Enrolments”. Your official course enrolments will be listed with various links to the course site if available.
You can also navigate the UWO OWL Learning Management System interface. The following outlines key components of the OWL interface or portal, on a web browser, which will help you navigate via the site.
Main Navigation Interface
- Account Menu: account settings including calendar, preferences, tutorial, & logout.
- Favourite Sites Navigation Bar: list of favourite/pinned sites.
- Sites Drawer: list of all available sites and your organized favourite sites.
Site Navigation Interface of UWO OWL Learning Management System
- Enter Access View: view the site as a student/participant (site maintainers/instructors only).
- Tools List: list of available tools within a site.
- Tool Title/Refresh: click the tool title to refresh the tool page.
- Tool Tab Menu: list of tool functions & settings (site maintainers/instructors only).
- Tool Link: generates a direct link to the tool.
- Tool Help: opens a new window to a support page for the tool.
- Full-Screen Mode: hides the top bar and side tool menu, providing you with more area to focus.
- Content Container: a content area for the tool.